Skip to Main Content

New Bruin U-Pass Provides Undergrads Fare-Free Transit Around LA County

Bruin U-Pass

UCLA undergrads can now head to the beach, enjoy their favorite spots around LA, and commute to campus all without paying a fare! The new Bruin U-Pass provides undergraduate students unlimited rides on select transit agencies throughout LA County including those serving UCLA. 

Bruin U-Pass is made possible by the April 2023 passage of the UCLA undergraduate student transit pass referendum, which raised undergraduate student fees by $3.30 per quarter, and a subsidy from UCLA Transportation. Students can enjoy unlimited rides on the local lines serving UCLA: Los Angeles Metro bus and rail linesSanta Monica Big Blue Bus, and Culver CityBus; the four commuter lines with direct access to campus: Antelope Valley TransitSanta Clarita TransitLong Beach Transit, and LADOT Commuter Express; and more!

With Bruin U-Pass, students can access destinations all over LA including shopping and dining locations to museums, cultural sites, and sports and entertainment venues. See all of the places you can go on our U-See-LA Without A Car webpage.

Undergraduate students can claim their Bruin U-Pass by logging in to the BruinTAP for Transit portal, completing the federally mandated one-time Metro survey, and selecting Bruin U-Pass and their method of delivery. 

Students living in residence halls can pick up their pass at the following locations:

  • Southwest Campus (Gayley Heights and Weyburn Terrace): 9/17 and 9/18 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Sunset Village Plaza Move-In Fair: 9/20 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. and 9/21 – 9/23 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Quad by Rieber/Feast: 9/21 – 9/23 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Commuter students can either have their pass mailed to them or pick up their pass as these locations:

  • Commuter Student Welcome (for new commuter students): 9/24 from 12 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
  • Central Ticket Office: Open Monday – Friday from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Bruin U-Passes for fall are effective beginning Monday, September 18. All Bruin U-Pass requests require a new TAP card and will replace any previously issued UCLA TAP cards. Learn more about Bruin U-Pass including answers to frequently asked questions.