With the April 2023 passage of the UCLA undergraduate student transit pass referendum, undergrads have fare-free access to all transit agencies throughout LA County including those serving UCLA through the new Bruin U-Pass program. Students can enjoy unlimited rides on the local lines serving UCLA: Los Angeles Metro bus and rail lines, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, and Culver CityBus; the four commuter lines with direct access to campus: Antelope Valley Transit, Santa Clarita Transit, Long Beach Transit, and LADOT Commuter Express; and more!
This new Bruin U-Pass transit program allows students to commute to campus or travel throughout Los Angeles County without a car. To learn more about how to maximize your new pass, visit our U-See-LA Without A Car webpage.
Please note all Bruin U-Pass requests require a new TAP card and will replace any previously issued UCLA TAP cards. UCLA undergraduate students can follow these steps to obtain a Bruin U-Pass:
- Log in to BruinTAP for Transit using your UCLA Logon ID.
- Complete the federally mandated one-time Metro survey.
- Select Bruin U-Pass and method of delivery.
- To use your pass, tap your card at a farebox and enjoy unlimited transit rides!
Passes must be renewed on a quarterly basis in order to remain active. More information about Bruin U-Pass can be found in the FAQ section below.
|Quarter||requisition dates||Effective Dates|
|Fall 2023||9/11/23 - 12/3/23||9/18/23 - 12/24/23|
Bruin U-Pass FAQs
- Who is eligible for a Bruin U-Pass?
All registered undergraduate students at UCLA who are paying the Universal Access Transit Pass Fee are eligible for a Bruin U-Pass.
- Why is Bruin U-Pass fare-free?
- A referendum was passed during the USAC elections in the spring of 2023 that raised undergraduate student fees by $3.30 per quarter. The fare-free pass is made possible by this fee along with a subsidy from UCLA Transportation.
- What transit agencies are included in the pass?
Included in your Bruin U-Pass is unlimited access to all seven transit agencies serving the UCLA campus including Los Angeles Metro bus and rail lines, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, Culver CityBus, Antelope Valley Transit, Santa Clarita Transit, Long Beach Transit, and LADOT Commuter Express.
The pass can also be used on other LA County transit lines that don’t serve campus, including Torrance Transit, Gardena GTRANS, and Foothill Transit. Access to Amtrak or Metrolink (regional rail system) trains are NOT included in the pass.
- How do I get my Bruin U-Pass?
UCLA undergraduate students can follow these steps to obtain a Bruin U-Pass:
1. Log in to BruinTAP for Transit using your UCLA Logon ID.
2. Complete the federally mandated one-time Metro survey.
3. Select Bruin U-Pass and your method of the delivery. You will receive an email with a confirmation number.
4. To use your card, simply tap your card at a farebox and enjoy your unlimited transit pass!
- How long is my pass valid for?
The Bruin U-Pass is valid for each quarter that the undergraduate student is enrolled and paying the Universal Access Transit Pass Fee (excluding summer quarter). Passes must be renewed on a quarterly basis in order to remain active.
- Can I load my Bruin U-Pass onto an existing transit pass?
- Students with an existing UCLA-subsidized transit pass cannot load the Bruin U-Pass onto their TAP card and must obtain a new card.
- What if I lose my Bruin U-Pass?
If your TAP card has been lost, stolen, or damaged please log onto the Transit Portal to purchase a replacement TAP card for $2. Once you have purchased your replacement TAP card online, please go to the Central Ticket Office to pick up your card.