Electric Scooter Policy
UCLA prioritizes the safety of the campus community. UCLA Transportation would like to highlight the importance of campus road safety and provide an overview of state laws regarding electric scooters.
California Vehicle Code (CVC) 407.5(a) defines a motorized scooter as any two-wheeled device that has handlebars, has a floorboard that is designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by an electric motor. CVC 21235 mandates that all scooter riders in California:
- Have a valid driver license
- Ride on the road and remain off sidewalks
- May not park scooters on a sidewalk in a position that blocks pedestrian paths
Use your head. Wear a helmet.
- Helmets can save your life
Observe traffic signals & signs.
- Ride only in the street
- Stay off sidewalks and out of crosswalks
Park in designated areas only.
- Don't block walkways, ADA pathways, or stairs
Additional Safety Tips
Be aware of your surroundings as you may not be seen or heard by other vehicles.
Drive defensively and ride responsibly.
Use common sense; these scooters are motorized vehicles, not toys, operating on streets.