The Earn-A-Bike program is designed to get eligible employees and graduate students to ride a bicycle to campus as a sustainable, economical, and healthy alternative to driving alone. By providing the option to swap a parking permit for a bike, the program will help support numerous UCLA initiatives and goals such as the Climate Action Plan, Sustainable Transportation Plan, and Healthy Campus Initiative’s goal to make UCLA the “healthiest campus in America."
Please Note: Participants of the program must complete a mandatory orientation online and cancel or forfeit the right to a parking permit for two years.
- What is Earn-A-Bike?
Earn-A-Bike provides qualified participants with the opportunity to trade in their parking permit for a free $800 bicycle package from Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica or The Bike Center.
Participants will be given the option to choose between the following bikes:
helen's cycles in Santa Monica The Bike Center Trek Marlin 5 2023
- Who qualifies?
• Must have a minimum appointment time of 43.75% or more
• Must have a minimum of two years remaining in their appointment time
◦ For assistant professors and other contract faculty, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about eligibility
• Must be an SOV quarterly permit holder for the current or previous quarter (Fall, Winter, or Spring only) or SOV monthly permit holder for the past three consecutive months prior to joining
• Night and Weekend permit holders are ineligible
• Non-faculty new hires in their 6-month probationary period are ineligible
• New tenured-track faculty do not have to be a parking permit holder
◦ New faculty are those whose start date was three months ago or less
UCLA Graduate Students:
• Incoming graduate students must be enrolled in a 2-year program or more and do not have to be a parking permit holder
• Current graduate students must have at least two years remaining in their academic program and must be an SOV quarterly permit holder for the current or previous quarter (Fall, Winter, or Spring only) or SOV monthly permit holder for the past three consecutive months
• Graduate students living in the 90024 zip code are eligible except those living in Weyburn Terrace and Hilgard Apartments
• Night, Weekend, and Residence Hall permit holders are ineligible
- How do I register for Earn-A-Bike?
A registration link will be provided when the program is active.
What happens if I need to drive?
If program participants need to occasionally drive to campus, they are able to park and pay for parking through the Bruin ePermit Portal.