- Why should I buy a vehicle through UCLA Transportation?
- UCLA Transportation’s strategic sourcing initiatives provide significant savings over Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Recent competitive bid contracts and related sourcing initiatives have led to an average savings of $8,000 per vehicle over MSRP. In addition to this, UCLA Transportation explores funding opportunities on the local, state and federal level to further lower the cost of vehicle acquisition.
- What are the benefits to financing a vehicle through UCLA Transportation?
- UCLA Transportation financing offers a convenient, predictable monthly expenditure that departments can budget for more easily.
- Why are vehicles factory ordered and not off-the-lot?
- It is standard practice for all vehicle acquisitions to be made as factory order. This allows the University more purchasing and negotiating power when making the purchase and leads to greater overall savings for the end customer. It also allows us to obtain the exact specifications required on a vehicle without compromise, meaning the customer gets the best vehicle for their application every time.
- How long will it take to get my vehicle?
- Total procurement time varies from vehicle to vehicle based upon its classification, the available factory build schedules, and overall availability. Low speed vehicles (LSVs) and smaller sedans tend to be quicker to obtain, whereas larger more specialized vehicles usually take much longer to design and build, depending on the specifications.
- What policies apply to vehicle purchases and operations at UCLA?
The UCLA Transportation is bound by the following policies in regards to its operations and procedures:
-UCOP Sustainable Practices Policy
-UCOP BUS-8: Acquisition and Disposition of University Vehicles
-UCOP BUS-19: Registration and Licensing of University-Owned Vehicles
-UCOP BUS-38: Disposition of Excess Property and Transfer of University-Owned Property
-UCOP BUS-46: Use of University Vehicles
How do I request analysis services for my fleet?
UCLA Transportation takes requests for the various analytical and planning services all year round. Certain processes do take longer than others, so it is important to make your requests as early as possible. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
What is the average life-span of a vehicle?
Vehicle life-spans vary depending on the type of vehicle, the typical usage, and the miles driven. On average, smaller vehicles like LSVs, sedans, vans, and trucks will last approximately 8-12 years. Larger vehicles like box trucks, buses, and emergency services vehicles will last approximately 10-15 years.
How do I donate a vehicle to UCLA?
UCLA Transportation accepts donations from various sources to assist with improving the University Fleet. For more information on how to donate vehicles to UCLA, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I found a vehicle cheaper elsewhere, can I buy that instead?
All vehicle purchases are thoroughly vetted by UCLA Fleet Services and Campus Purchasing. There are restrictions within UCOP policy that limit the sources available for vehicle acquisitions. At the same time, UCLA Transportation is constantly seeking new vendors to provide us with the highest quality of goods and services at the lowest cost to the University. If you find a suitable vehicle at a reasonable price that you would like us to explore, please contact us at FleetProcurement@ts.ucla.edu.