The path to safer driving can actually start in reverse. This April, UCLA Transportation presents its annual Be Alert Bruins campaign to remind drivers accidents on the go can be avoided by backing up safely.
One in four accidents happen while backing up a vehicle. Backing up can be particularly dangerous in workplace settings like a University that utilizes different types of vehicles and can have busy environments. Fortunately, there are tactics to help reduce the chance of a backing collision.
- Inspect the Area: Perform a full 360° visual check around your vehicle.
- Avoid Distractions: Before backing up, put down your phone, turn off the radio, and lower your window.
- Check Your Mirrors: Use mirrors before moving and re-check them as you’re backing.
- Flip on Your Hazards: Emergency flashers alert other motorists and pedestrians.
- Slow Down: The slower you go the more time you have to react.
- Use a Guide: Use a second pair of eyes to assist you and agree on hand signals beforehand.
- Watch Your Clearance: Don’t just look around, but also ABOVE your vehicle.
- Back into a Parking Spot: It’s safer to back into a parking stall upon arrival and drive straight out when you leave.
Think of the impact you could have by following these tips! Make accident prevention stick and take our safety quiz to be automatically entered to win a $50 AutoZone gift card.
All entries for the quiz must be received by Friday, April 30, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. Winners will be announced on or after Monday, May 3, 2021.
Read the terms and conditions for the quiz.